Monday, February 15, 2010

Short Track, Rush Poker, and Human Frailty

Next to the snowbording events, short track speed skating is the greatest winter sport ever. Rush Poker however is evil. And I am very, very weak.

Took a couple days off because I'm very disappointed in myself. Ok, I'm not really that disapointed, I've known me 32 years and pretty much expect me to do dumb shit pretty regularly. But I did think it best to take some time to think about things.

So here's what happened. I had played a pretty solid session earlier in the night, 422 hands, up 2.21, totals 3371 and 48.73, thats -0.186 per 100 if you care. Anyway the short track semis were over and the luge came on. I don't really care too much for the luge, and if that wicked crash couldn't get me interested it's not gonna happen. So I went to read some emails and do some non poker internet stuff until the short track awesomeness started back up. My first mistake was opening one from Full Tilt. My second mistake was checking out the rush poker. "Five bucks just for playing a few hands?" I say to myself "Can't be that bad, I'll just play careful and I should at least break even, I've been meaning to take a look at that anyway." Ya, I know, I'm a dumbass. So I get in the .05/.10 NL game and am dealt KK, first hand, no shit. So the whole playing cautious thing went out the window pretty quick. I'll spare you the bad beat stories but I lost with AA and the aforementioned KK in about 2 min befor gaining back a little ground. That damn game is like chocolate flavored meth. I managed to break free eventually but still lost 19.28 altogether. BUT I GOT MY FIVE BUCKS SO SUCK IT FULL TILT!! Again, yes, I'm aware I'm an idiot.

It's not the money that bothers me. I've been known to blow more than that on tequila shots in a slow hour. It's the complete and utter lack of discipline I showed by playing not only a whole new game, but one for which I was not properly bankrolled. Yes, my live bankroll is about a hundred times my online roll, yes I can just make a deposit, thats not the point. The point is that this whole little exercise was supposed to be about training myself to have the discipline and patience to not only not force things at the table but to PLAY WITHIN MY BANKROLL.

Maybe its the 2NL that's making me crazy. OK, to be fair the crazy is mostly hereditary, but 2NL is extremely frustrating. So I think I'm going to take a break from cash games and play a few SNGs. I think 20 of the $1 variety should do it and be ok on my bankroll. Who the hell knows I may even make a little money.

No comments:

Post a Comment